BOOK REVIEW: IF I ONLY KNEW BY CORINNE MICHAELS

 

Title: If I Only Knew

Author: Corinne Michaels - Website

Series: Book #4 of Second Time Around Series

Format
318 pages, Kindle Edition
7 hours 21 minutes Audio via Audible
Narrated by Shane East and Sophie Eastlake
Published
January 28, 2019
Language
English


My Rating:

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

🌶️🌶️


Trope: 

👩‍👧‍👦Single Mom
💕Best Friend’s Brother-in-Law
👔Office Romance


Blurb:

From New York Times bestseller, Corinne Michaels, comes a new heartwarming and sexy standalone romance novel.

My life was perfect - until a shocking tragedy pulled the rug out from underneath me. 

My children were left without a father. I was without a husband and a provider. Instead of wallowing in my grief, I buried myself in my work at Dovetail Enterprises. Landing the promotion as the CEO’s right hand was exactly what I needed. 

Getting saddled with Milo Huxley as an assistant is exactly the opposite. 

I can’t stand him. 

He’s arrogant, irresponsible, and out for my job. As if that’s not bad enough, he has to be devastatingly sexy, and have a posh English accent that makes me squirm on top of it all. I’ve had enough unpredictability for one lifetime, thank you. 

But soon enough, we’re fighting less and laughing more. He’s there for me when no one else is. And those good looks aren’t the only panty-dropping thing about him. 

If I only knew what to do about it . . .


My Summary of the Story:

Danielle became a single mom of 2 children after her husband was murdered in cold blood by a begrudging client where he worked as a lawyer. Left to fend for herself and her children, she threw herself into work in a real estate company under her best friend’s husband. Callum, her boss saw her potential and offered her a promotion to a higher senior position within the company. Danielle eagerly accepts the position and starts to look for an assistant. Then one devastatingly handsome British man, Milo, shows up for the interview, but he’s not there to apply for the assistant position, he’s there to take her position, as the estranged brother of Calum….


My Thoughts:

This is why I love single-parent romance so much, this book was written beautifully. I can feel Danielle’s pain for losing her husband, though their marriage was not all picture perfect, they loved each other. Their relationship was painted realistically, they married young because of an unplanned pregnancy, but they made it work. But all of a sudden her husband was taken away from her and her children, and while she was in grief, her relationship with her teenage daughter became restrained. Danielle was just trying to survive and dedicated all of her time to work to cope with her loss. She tried her best to still be a good mother for Ava and Parker, but she’s having a hard time dealing with Ava. Until Milo showed up in her life and changed everything.

Milo is arrogant and irresponsible, he doesn’t get along with his brother Callum and always tries to pick a fight with him. He tried to take Danielle’s position at the beginning, just to mess up with Callum, he didn’t really need the job. But once he got to know Danielle and her children, he couldn’t help but fall in love with her. I like the fact that they’re in their 40s and close in age, so no awkward reverse age gap or age gap at all. The courtroom scenes were a bit hard for me to read because it was so heartbreaking, so please be aware if this is a trigger for you. 

The only thing that I didn’t like is the third-act break-up arc, I thought it was a bit unnecessary, luckily it didn’t get dragged for a long time. I will need to pick up more of Corrine Michaels’s book after this, highly recommend it!

⚠️Grief/Loss of Loved Ones⚠️


Available on Kindle Unlimited

Get it on Amazon US









Comments

Popular Posts